I have never been one to say that God does not heal people today. I have never wanted to limit God and believe that God has stopped certain miracles. Recently, I was talking with a group of pastors and I said that I believe in Divine healing, but I think it is rare. They asked why. I responded that I do not see it that often. I met with one of those pastors later on and he shared many experiences he had personally experienced. Myron shared:
His wife was raised in India with sicknesses and little medical care.
Her father would Pray in faith and things were healed. The Lord intervened when no one else could.
Myron’s wife would challenge him when their children were sick to pray for them. He would pray for the specific disease to be healed.
One time his 4th born son was 2.5 years old. They were having a birthday party for his older son. There were all these boys at the house and the water went out. He saw a water truck up the street and thought he would go ask them what is going on. He went to his garage, looked behind his van to make sure no toys were behind it. He got in and started to backup and then heard a noise. He backed up and pinned his 2.5 year old. His son was hardly breathing. EMT’s arrived and they were shocked. They couldn’t get a pulse. ER dr said he was in life threatening condition. Broken fibula, tibia, hip… collapsed lung. Chest was like collapsed. They called the careflight and they took him to University Rainbow hospital, the children’s hospital in the midst of it. As they were driving they were sending calls for healing. They were crying out for God to heal his son. Probably 800 women in a meeting in St Lewis and they all stopped the meeting and prayed.
They get to the hospital and they see an African American man holding his son and at first he thought, “that can’t be my son.” Then the man sat him down and he ran to his dad. The man said, “the Lord healed your son.” The drs said they had x rays but they didn’t match him. They kept him overnight and then sent him home. Scratches and outside injuries were still there but the bone breaks were gone. He is now 20 years old and perfectly fine. Hip bone was broke and leg was sideways but that was fine when they got to the hospital.
That was the most personal and miraculous testimony I have heard of a healing.
My theme today: Because of the blood of the cross Jesus is our healer.
Stacey Hollaway testimony
Let’s read Matthew 8:14-17:
When Jesus came into Peter’s house, he saw Peter’s mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever. He touched her hand and the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him. When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him, and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah: “He took up our infirmities
and bore our diseases.”
- Jesus heals us spiritually and physically
- As we look at the passage we see Jesus healed Peter’s mother in law and others. But what is most interesting is that Matthew applies Isaiah 53:4 as a prophesy fulfilled in the healing.
- Isaiah 53 is the servant song and it is all about Jesus. I often would look at this passage and say that Jesus heals us spiritually. But in this case Matthew applies it to physical illness.
- The point is that the suffering of Jesus and the death on the cross reversed the effects of the fall.
- We will all be healed at death through Jesus’ blood, but some will be healed now.
- Sickness can be caused by sin
- Notice I said “can” and we don’t know if it is caused by sin or not. Ultimately, all sickness has its root in original sin. (Romans 5:12)
- But look at 1 Cor. 11:28-30: Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. 30 That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.
- Paul is writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit and saying some are sick and dying because of unconfessed sin.
- Please know that sin is a break in a relationship.
- Please take seriously confession.
- What is the process of prayer and anointing:
- James 5:13-16: Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
- James says to:
- Call the elders of the church to pray over you.
- Anoint with oil.
- Have faith
- If sinned, forgiven.
- Confess sin: remember that unconfessed sin breaks your relationship with God. Psalm 66:18: If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened.
- Remember that the prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
- If you come forward for healing you must believe that God can do it. You must believe that He is able.
- Is that God that forgives of your sins able to heal you?
- Is that God that will give you a new resurrected body able to heal you? (1 Cor. 15)
- Is the God that split the Red Sea able to heal you (exodus 14:14-30)?
- Is the God that spoke creation into existence able to heal you (Gen. 1-2)?
- Is the God that created you in your mother’s womb able to heal you (Psalm 139)?
- Is the God that allowed barren women to have children able to heal you (1 Samuel 1-2)?
- Is the God that will create a new Heaven and new earth able to heal you (Rev. 21)?
- Our God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there is nothing that our God can’t do. The Mountains are big, the valleys are big, the stars are His handiwork too. Our God is so big, so strong and so mighty, there is nothing that our God can’t do.
- Lastly, believe, but surrender to God’s will. If you are not healed it is not for anyone here to say that it is a lack of faith. It is not for anyone here to say that unconfessed sin kept you from being healed. Confession of sin and faith is important, but only you and God know if that has kept His hand from healing you.
Salvation and confession
Don’t come forward for healing if you are not committed to Christ. If you are not a follower of Christ, come forward to accept and trust in Jesus first. Make yourself right spiritually before anything else.
God created us to be with him. (Genesis 1-2)
Our sin separated us from God. (Genesis 3)
Sins cannot be removed by good deeds (Gen 4-Mal 4)
Paying the price for sin, Jesus died and rose again. (Matthew – Luke)
Everyone who trusts in him alone has eternal life. (John – Jude)
Life that’s eternal means we will be with Jesus forever. (Revelation 22:5)